Sunday, June 05, 2005

"June is bustin' out all over."

I read something the other day about the problem of unattributed quotations on the internet. So, just in case, that subject line is a song lyric (and title, come to think of it) by Hammerstein. From Carousel, which is a pretty quotable musical.

Anyway, I thought I'd take a minute to update all y'all on where I'll be this month (all times are Eastern).

Thursday, June 9th: Karen Joy Fowler is appearing at Joseph-Beth Booksellers at 7 pm right 'chere in Lexington. She'll be talking about her fabulous best selling novel, The Jane Austen Book Club, as it's the current selection the Herald Readers Book Club. That doesn't really have much to do with me, but I'll be in the audience, and so should you if you live within easy driving distance (or even if you live within moderately difficult driving distance, hello Raleigh!). Joseph-Beth Booksellers, 161 Lexington Green Circle, Suite B1, Lexington. 7 pm.

Friday, June 10th: I've mentioned this one before. Mark "Full Unit Hookup" Rudolph, Gwenda "Shaken & Stirred" Bond and Christopher "PayPal Buttons Over There on Your Right" Rowe read "Strange Fiction" at this month's edition of the InKY reading series. The venue is a great bar, The Rudyard Kipling on Oak Street in Louisville. The time is 7 pm. There's a band. And it's a bar. The Rudyard Kipling, 422 W. Oak Street, Louisville. 7 pm-9 pm.

Sunday, June 19th: I'll be joining Michael Williams, Jason Sizemore, and Samuel Travis Clemmons at the Borders on Hurstbourne Lane in Louisville for a panel discussion titled "Why Write Science Fiction & Fantasy?" Details are still developing on this one, and the event may include a signing afterward. Borders Books & Music, 2520 S. Hursbourne Gem Lane (corner of Hurstbourne Parkway and Taylorsville Road). 2 pm-5 pm.

Friday, June 24th: A non-Kentucky appearance! Kelly Link, Maureen McHugh and I will be reading at one of my favorite bookstores, Malaprops in downtown Asheville, North Carolina. Says here that we're "Modern Fabulists." Malaprops, 55 Haywood Street, Asheville. 7 pm.

For the last week of the month, I'll be holed up on a mountain top with eleven of my writing buddies for this year's edition of the Sycamore Hill Writers Conference.

In a few minutes, I'll be mowing the lawn.

Tomorrow, I'll be at my job, shuffling large quantities of papers concerning forklift repair jobs and reminding my mechanics that they're talking to a modern fabulist.

Glamorous, ain't it?