Monday, May 02, 2005

Congratulations

...to the writers of the last big Hobbit movie, of whom there are three, and to Lois McMaster Bujold and Walter Jon Williams, who have three names each, and most especially to Ellen and Eileen, for their Nebula wins this past weekend. Deserved, all.

The highlight of all of these conventions and so on we attend is always spending time with our friends. Beyond that, my two biggest moments were when Janis Ian (yes, Mama, that Janis Ian) came up to tell me how much she enjoyed a story I'd written and the once in a lifetime chance I had to be of some small service to Anne McCaffrey. I was genuinely surprised, by the way, at how starstruck Ms. McCaffrey left me.

In other news, I've been told by the editors of the Twenty Epics anthology (who would get my vote for the Nebula for Best Guidelines if there was one on offer) that they're going to be including a vignette of mine in their book. The piece is called "Two Figures in a Landscape Between Storms" and it represents a closure of sorts to me. It's the last of the stories I wrote in the summer of 1996 for the Clarion West workshop to see publication, and while it's seen some changes since then, I've always liked it.

More to the point, it's very nearly my last piece of unpublished fiction period. So I suppose I should be typing into something besides my blog, eh?

Oh, one more thing, super-artist John Picacio writes to let me know that he's spotted my name on an updated list of Worldcon programming participants, which I take to mean I'll be participating in programming at Worldcon. See you there.